The PSHE programme at The Heights, Blackburn is part of our wider Personal Development offer to develop the ‘whole child’.
The aims of our curriculum are as follows:
- Ensure pupils have the knowledge and skills to make informed choices to enhance and enrich their own and other people’s lives.
- Develop a strength of character and resilience that will help pupils to overcome the challenges they are likely to encounter in adult life.
- Promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, increasing their awareness and self-confidence.
- Help pupils develop independent skills and a positive attitude toward learning.
- Ensure that all pupils understand how to stay safe.
- Provide an appropriate range of opportunities and experiences to allow pupils to succeed in the next stage in their education, training or employment.
- Prepare children for life in modern Britain. We will ensure that the fundamental British values are introduced, discussed and lived out through the ethos and work of the school.
- Provide a range of opportunities and experiences which act a vehicle for furthering understanding and deepen and develop understanding beyond the local community.
- Develop skills in communicating ideas and opinions to influence social change.
- Develop pupil understanding of healthy relationships through age appropriate relationship and sex education.
We will achieve this through our structured weekly PSHE programme, bespoke CEIAG programmes, assembly programme, enrichment initiatives (including our Super Learning Days and extra-curricular opportunities) and the support of specialist external bodies.